A loooooooooong time back I wrote a GF about how I'm among the last people who know who Laurel and Hardy were. Same for George Burns and Milton Berle and everyone else from back then who are about to pass into obscurity.
At the time I wrote it I thought this was a fucking crime, but now that I'm pushing fifty? I believe it's just the way she goes, to quote a great philosopher.
Young people today don't know a lot of the stuff I know, or even have the same frame of reference, and it's not just pop culture things. They have no idea what it was like to drive in a car that didn't have seatbelts and did have ashtrays.
But kids today will never know what it's like to watch broadcast TV. That's the craziest thing of all to me. They stream everything. They have no idea what channel surfing is. They will never understand the annoyance of discovering jack shit on the tube. That's not just a surface difference in time periods--that's a completely different way of life.
I generally think my readers here are around my age, so I don't think anyone from Gen Z is reading this. But if you are, I have something that might give you somewhat of an idea of what it was like. And for my fellow middle-agers . . . BEHOLD! A walk down memory lane.
I was a child in the 'Eighties, so that one scratched my nostalgic itch. But I'm a curious guy, so of course I looked at the other decades. It's fun.
It worried me a little that whoever put this website together might have used AI because I couldn't figure out how else they would do it, but I read more about the project, and it seems like they did it some other way. And if you think they're missing things, you can even make suggestions.
I'm glad this exists, but I don't know if I'd sit down and watch it for longer than a few minutes. Anytime you want to escape the modern world? Here's a way to do that.
Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment