Sunday, February 21, 2016

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #168: THE MALTESE FALCON

I saw THE MALTESE FALCON on the big screen today, and it was a wonder to behold. I love the book by Dashiell Hammett, and I have always loved John Huston's version of the movie. To see it on the big screen was astounding. It gives me a completely different perspective of the movie. It was wonderful!


I just learned today that it was playing, and I figured I'd be the youngest person in the audience. Sure enough, there were some elderly and middle-aged folks. But to my surprise, many viewers were younger than I am.


I took delight in their reactions to Sam Spade. They had no idea what they were getting into, and I don't think they knew that anti-heroes existed before the 'Sixties. They laughed at his lines, his expressions, his reactions. It was all genuine, too. Not a single pity laugh in the bunch.


Wow. A whole new generation was being introduced to Sam Spade, and it was beautiful! I'm so glad I got to see them fall in love with an icon. They had wonder in their eyes and happiness in their smiles. Especially when he slapped the shit out of Peter Lorre, telling him that he'd take it and like it.


I kinda wanted to be with them, watching THE MALTESE FALCON for the first time ever. There was one moment, however, when I felt like them. It was at the end when Bogie was asked what the Falcon was. You know what he said. Of course. It's one of the greatest lines in cinematic history.


To see it on the big screen? It gave me chills.

No comments:

Post a Comment