Tuesday, June 20, 2023

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #687: FUCK FEAR


 

I said I wouldn't do it. I swore I wouldn't. But here I am, doing it. Goddammit.


I've had a roller coaster kind of relationship with Fear the Walking Dead. When it first came out I thought it was interesting and a little different. It was fun to see how people first started reacting to the zombie apocalypse before they realized it was a zombie apocalypse. Extra points for having the junkie figure it out first. Junkies and the homeless are probably the canary in a coal mine for these kinds of things.


But then I realized that I hated every character except for the one designed specifically for you to hate: Victor Strand. He is easily the best character of the first season characters on the show, and I started rooting for him even as I started calling the show Where's Negan and Friends?, the companion show to Negan and Friends, aka, The Walking Dead. I wanted every single goddammed character to be killed off except for Victor. I wanted him to be the new star.


And then I got my wish. Almost. Nearly every character got killed off and replaced by new characters. Better characters, including John Dorie. And then the show got better. And better. And I renamed the show The Adventures of Victor Strand and John Dorie in the Nuclear Zombie Apocalypse. And then John got killed the next week, so I changed it to The Adventures of Victor Strand in the Nuclear Zombie Apocalypse. And somehow the show got even better. It got so good that I was tempted to call the show by its given name. Those crazy bastards had a looney John Glover set off a nuke in the zombie apocalypse! How fucking crazy is that?!


And then they transgressed against me. The character I hated most--I actually celebrated when they killed her off--came back from the dead, and not as a zombie. They brought back fucking Madison.


And then I swore that I would never watch this fucking show again. Fuck Fear! Fuck that shit!


I lived up to my promise to myself until the midseason finale because Negan: Pee-Pee Pants City (aka, Dead City) began on Sunday. I no longer have cable, so I had to get AMC+ to see the continuing adventures of my favorite TWD character. I realized then that Where's Negan and Friends? was coming to an end. This was the final season. I had AMC+, so why not ride it out till the end?


Because goddammit, I need to make sure Madison dies. I want her death to be explicit so there is no question about it. This has to happen. And since a few characters have aimed guns at her head over the course of the show since her return and did *not* pull the trigger, I need them all to die, too, for not granting me my wish.


I don't really hate-watch things, but I'm hate-watching this. So far it has not been rewarding. I knew this would suck, and I have been right. This has been the worst season yet, even worse than the season where most of the cast got killed.


Please kill Madison. She's expressed her own desire to die. Make it so, I beg of you.










































OK, there was one good moment in this whole clusterfuck. Morgan finds a bunch of walkers eating a skunk. Later, people keep asking him what that smell is, and he has to explain about the skunk each time. It made me laugh. Rereading this paragraph made me laugh again.

No comments:

Post a Comment