My favorite indie bookstore is Anderson's, specifically the one in Naperville. They have other great locations, but this is the original and best. It's a great place to find new and interesting books (and to support bookstores that aren't Amazon or B&N, etc.). It's also a business owned by women, so if you're desperate for such a place, look no further. And yes, they do have an online store, and you can buy signed copies there. Hell, it looks like Chuck Wendig is going to be there tomorrow. I wish I could make it. Now that I live in DeKalb, my visits are unfortunately going to be few and far between going forward.
Merely walking in the door is enough to raise my spirits. My first stop is the fiction section, but I'm likely to spend the most time in the biography and nonfiction section.
There is a high possibility of finding books signed by the author. They're still at cover price. And you never know who might sign there. I have books autographed by Andrew McCarthy, Henry Winkler, Curtis Armstrong (Booger himself!), David Spade, the list goes on.
And they're legit. These celebrities have all signed here. (Or, because there's more capacity, at the nearby college instead.)
I try to go to as many signings as possible. I love meeting authors here. I've gone to see Clive Barker, Chuck Palahniuk, Chuck Tingle, Irvine Welsh, Cory Doctorow, Sarah Pinborough and so on. I also saw Weird Al and Penn Jillette, among others from different media there. If I was so moved, I could have met former President Bill Clinton (at the college, of course) when he was on tour with James Patterson.
I am much more of a worldly man because of Anderson's. This is my love letter to them. Thank you for years of service. I wish many more on you.
No comments:
Post a Comment