I took today off so I could drive to Elmhurst and let a doctor stick needles into my spine. My back feels better already, and it was nice to have a sort-of three day weekend, so why not write a Goodnight, Fuckers?
I've been making a few jokes on social media about whether or not I live in a dangerous neighborhood, and the answer might actually be, in all seriousness, yes. There are two Flock cameras across the street from my apartment complex, if that gives you any indication. More on that in a moment.
I'm from Elmhurst, and while Elmhurst has crime, it's not like DeKalb's crime. Shootings in Elmhurst, for instance, are rare. And when violence happens there, it's usually from out of towners robbing a gas station or what have you.
DeKalb crime is in your face, though. For example, I recently had to give up eating at one of the best pizza places here because I learned that the co-owner was a pedophile. It doesn't say what he did, but the sex crimes registry mentioned that the victim was twelve years old. So fuck that place.
A few years ago, someone robbed one of their delivery drivers at gunpoint, if you want the example to continue. Every once in a while we get a drunken act of violence, like where they say the NIU student who stabbed a guy outside a bar on Lincoln Hwy (which, if you keep driving east, turns into Roosevelt Rd for those of you closer to Elmhurst.)
And then there's the guy who . . . hell, just read the article. Warning, you probably don't want to read that. And if you wonder how it could have started at the library, then you've never worked at a library.
Which brings us to my neighborhood. There were three recent bouts of violence. Two were shootings that happened a couple of blocks away from me, and the other was a stabbing that happened at the apartment complex next to mine. From what I understand, that stabbing happened RIGHT IN FRONT OF ONE OF THOSE FLOCK CAMERAS. And there still hasn't been an arrest. I kind of doubt these things are good at what they're supposed to be good at: catching criminals. They're really good at extracting our data against our will, though. Why do we have so many of these fucking things, again?
As far as I'm concerned, the jury's out. I've never been afraid to go outside. Nothing has ever happened to me here. Then again, I'm a pretty big dude, so not many people want to fuck with me. So what do you think? Do I live in a dangerous neighborhood?
No comments:
Post a Comment