Thursday, July 14, 2011

COOL SHIT 7-14-11

CAPTAIN AMERICA #1: All right, maybe you’re not surprised to see me spouting off about how awesome Ed Brubaker is, but I know you motherfuckers are unaccustomed to me bringing up conventional superheroes in Cool Shit. My love of Garth Ennis’ anti-supe stuff should help you figure out where my loyalties lie. In fact, I wouldn’t even be reading Cap if Brubaker wasn’t doing it. This issue, by the end, didn’t do much for me. But the beginning! What an awesome opening! We find a thoughtful Cap on his way to the funeral of an old lover, wondering about his nature as a “man out of time,” someone who lived as a kid in the Depression, grew to be a man in WWII, and should by all rights be a bent over old guy by now. Then, of course, the shooting begins, and the stuff everyone else likes starts going on.




LADY DEATH #7: Shit has finally hit the fan. Hope finally knows who Death Queen is, and she finds herself in a rather sticky situation. For as long as she could remember, she’s been fighting to rescue her mother from the clutches of Hell. Now, she finds to her horror that her number one enemy is actually her mother in disguise, bent on revenge for being abandoned in Hell. Now our fair lady must figure out if she wants to save or kill her mom. Mommy dearest isn’t making the decision hard for her, either; Death Queen wants to use Lady Death’s soul to murder everyone in the world who doesn’t bear a special mark.



30 DAYS OF NIGHT: NIGHT, AGAIN #3: See? I told you guys! This story is picking up like a motherfucker! The guy in the torpedo? Not a vampire after all. Ever see an old silent picture called DER GOLEM? It is easily one of my favorite non-talking films. It’s good to see the old myth pop up in the pages of a vampire book. It’s also good to see what happens when a vampire goes up against a FUCKING POLAR BEAR. Didn’t see that coming, did ya? If you’re not reading this book . . . why not?!

 (Sorry for not having a picture of each book.  For some reason, Blogger would only let me use one.  Since this one's the most aesthetically pleasing, I went with 30 DAYS OF NIGHT:  NIGHT, AGAIN.)

No comments:

Post a Comment