Monday, January 6, 2014

ONE QUESTION INTERVIEWS

I’ve been thinking about the art form of the interview a lot lately. There are very few people who are good at it these days. As far as I’m concerned, the king of the interview is Ron Bennington, who does amazing things not just with UNMASKED, but also with his regular show, RON AND FEZ. The key is to make it seem like a conversation, rather than either a promotional tool or even an info-pumping session. Judging by the few interviews I’ve conducted, I’m not very good at that. Leo Perez is much better at it than I am, and I wish the interview he did with me would be posted someday so you can all see what I see. If he ever wants a career doing something like that, I’m sure he’d kick a lot of ass.


But the main thing I’m thinking about here is the internet interview. I’m not talking about podcasts, where the internet interview is thriving. I’m talking about written interviews. No one is good at this. It’s hard to be good at an interview that people will eventually read, instead of listen to. It always seems to be fill-in-the-blank, rather than two people sitting down and talking. I think the only good written interview is the monthly interview published by PLAYBOY.


But I want to see what I can do about making the internet interview much more interesting. There is no substitute for the fill-in-the-blank sensation, but there might not need to be. This, in combination with the idea that the internet is all about brevity, led to my new idea for TALES OF UNSPEAKABLE TASTE: one question interviews. I’ll grant, I’m not the first person to think of this, but I want to explore this method and see where it leads me.



I personally know a lot of incredibly smart, remarkably creative people. I hope to invite them to take part in this idea as a starting off point, and I’m interested in pursuing some creative people I don’t count as friends, as well. I have a list of people I want to try, of course, but who do you want to see me interview? Let me know in the comments, text me, email me, post to my Twitter, wherever you want to contact me, let me know. This is only in the idea stage so far, but if this sounds like something that could be cool, let me know. Keep in mind that I intend to ask a lot of people, not just writers or comics people, but also actors, stand-up comedians, painters, musicians and anyone who follows a creative path in their lives. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment