Thursday, July 20, 2023

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #709: KOLCHAK NOSFERATU


 

I've been a fan of Kolchak for many, many years. I spent a lot of my time searching for The Kolchak Papers by Jeff Rice, and when I finally found it at a comics convention, I can't tell you how happy I was. I was even happier when I read it and discovered how fucking great it was. Rice wrote like white hot lightning.


Moonstone's Kolchak stuff is sometimes great, sometimes just merely good, and often times not so great. When I picked up the book above it was with mixed expectations. John Everson has a story in this, and I like his work. I knew I'd at least like his story (big surprise, I did), but I'm kind of surprised that I liked them all.


The one I liked most was written by Christopher Sequeira, whom I'm not too familiar with. He's also the editor, which is sometimes a hit or miss proposition. Even great editors, when they put their own stories in their anthologies, sometimes falter. But this was pretty fucking good. A group of Nosferatu groupies, er, scholars, puts together the uncut original version of the movie with plans to screen it . . . except a real life Nosferatu starts stalking victims in the vicinity. The explanation behind why this is, and why Nosferatu can walk in the sunlight, is really good. It's a very unusual story, and I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for more of Sequeira's work.


My only problem is the same problem I have with all Moonstone books. The comic books seem immune to this, but the prose books? They all have a shit-ton of typos, and this one is no exception. I wish they'd hire me as a line editor.


Hey, if someone at Moonstone is reading this, I'm also an editor! And I'm really fucking good at it! I'll give you affordable rates! Plus, I'm local! Lockport is 45 minutes from me! You can contact me at tabardinnedgewoodent (at) yahoo (dot) com!


Sorry. I had to get this off my chest. I usually review books on Goodreads, but this one isn't up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment