Thursday, May 23, 2024

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #842: COMICS I'M READING (UPDATE)

 It's been a while since I did a rundown of all the comics I read monthly. I'm glad to say it's no longer a handful. It's an actual list again. So here we go!


The Blood Brothers Mother

From the amazing team of Azzarello and Risso. It's a western that shows a lot of promise. We're only one issue in so far, and it's fuckin' huge. It's more of a magazine than a comic book.


The Expanse: Dragon Tooth

I'm a huge fan of The Expanse, in book, show or comics form. This miniseries takes place during the time jump between books 6 and 7 by James SA Corey. Too bad this one is ending soon. Only one issue to go.


Get Fury


The Punisher hunting down Nick Fury in Vietnam? Written by Garth Ennis? Of course I'm in. It's the only Marvel book I currently read. I don't anticipate reading another when this is over.


GI Joe (Larry Hama)

Yeah, I know this book has gone through several publishers over the years, but technically it's the same run of the comic I read as a kid, written by the same guy, Larry Hama. I love how crazy this series gets sometimes. Because it's GI Joe, a lot of people forget about crazy shit like Serpentor being made from the DNA of ancient rulers, or Dr. Mindbender's zombie bomb. Hama, who fought in Vietnam, knows what he's doing and knows how to bring the lunacy to a fever pitch. I know eventually this series will end, and it will be a sad day, indeed.


The Goon

The Goon is back! This is a book that goes through a lot of different publications, and I'm glad we have a new series that left off with the previous one. It's an oddball mix of ridiculous violence and old-timey stuff. One of my favorites is Frankie, and when he screams "KNIFE TO THE EYE!" he means it.


Hellblazer: Dead in America

For the longest time it seemed that DC had given up on John Constantine, but it's good to see he's back, and once again he's haunting America. This time he's alive, but his body is rotting. He has to find a way to get back to normal, and he has a very Scottish friend he met at a pub and a deaf-mute who turns out to be his son as companions. He's also armed with a single grain of sand from Dream's bag. I felt betrayed when DC ended the original Vertigo book so Constantine could rejoin the DCU and rub shoulders with superheroes. This is a return to the original series. It feels like Constantine never truly left us. This is the only DC book I read, and I'm pretty sure I won't read another when this ends.


James Bond 007

Whoever put Garth Ennis in charge of James Bond must be out of their mind, but he's proven to be damned good at it. Like Warren Ellis before him, Ennis seems to understand Bond in ways that the movies never really show. It's closer to the books, and I'm glad for that. And then there's . . .


Jimmy's Little Bastards

. . . the book James Bond would be if Garth Ennis was allowed to run rampant. Aftershock, the publisher, declared bankruptcy last year, but it seems like the final book in this series is still somehow going to be released. It's been delayed forever, but it's being solicited in November. I'm glad. I'd hate to have an Ennis series without an ending.


Jupiter's Legacy: Requiem

Here's another book that was supposed to come out a long time ago but hasn't. Yet the internet is insistent that this book is still happening. However, probably due to the Netflix show's failure, this is no longer the second half of a miniseries. This is going to be one big volume and is probably the epilogue to Mark Millar's huge Big Game crossover.


Saga

Saga is on hiatus right now. They like to get a bunch of issues in and then take a break, which is kind of annoying, but the wait is always worth it. This is top-shelf storytelling from Brian K. Vaughan, who gave us Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina. He's really, really good at writing heartbreaking endings. Ex Machina's tore my heart out when I read it. So I can only assume Saga will end in tragedy. And it looks like we're closer to the ending than expected.


That Texas Blood

This book is also on hiatus because the creators wanted to do a miniseries western for a little while set in the same universe. The Enfield Gang Massacre was fucking great, but I can't wait to see what they do with the main series next.


Torpedo 1972

Risso working without Azzarello seems a little weird, but this li'l book is quirky and wrong in so many ways. It seems like a parody of gangster stories, except there's a lot of very uncomfortable violence in it. It's like a joke in which people die. Weird, but I like it.


Transformers (Skybound)

Why would I not read a Transformers book? This one is particularly good because Skybound decided to tear it all down and build it up from the ground. No history with the comics is necessary to know what's going on. It's great. The Energon Universe is fucking great, and I hope it keeps going for a while.


Underheist

This is a book from David Lapham, who gave us the classic crime comic, Stray Bullets. This one is also a crime book, as you can probably guess from the title, but it's a *horror* crime book. And that's supercool. I doubt the book will last long, but so far, so good.


Void Rivals

I gotta be honest, I only love a handful of Robert Kirkman books. Battle Pope, obviously, and The Walking Dead. And yes, Invincible. But outside that? I haven't liked what I've read. But Void Rivals is fucking great. You don't have to read it to get what's going on in the Energon Universe, but it helps. It's good to see where a lot of this is starting, and it's good to know the EU has Quintessons . . .


And that's it. I'll try to keep you updated in the future on my pull list. Until next time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment