Wednesday, March 23, 2011

BOY WONDER AT C2E2


First of all, as shameful as it seems, I knew ahead of time that I wouldn’t be able to make it to the C2E2 screening of the movie, BOY WONDER. However, as a member of the press, I requested to have a DVD sent to me for purposes of review.



Then, as I wandered the floor on Friday, trying to get the lay of the land, I came upon BOY WONDER’s booth. I stopped by to let them know how much I enjoyed their movie, and I was told that I was standing next to writer/director Michael Morrissey. I turned to see him talking with another fan, and as soon as the fan walked away, the kind folks at the BW booth introduced me to Morrissey.

We shook hands, and I told him about how I had a great time with his movie. He asked me how I’d seen it, since they hadn’t had the screening yet. I told him about getting the DVD and writing the review. He then saw my press pass and asked me who I was with. I told him the Napalm Assault. He looked the site up on his phone and found the review.

I then asked him to sign one of the BW cards they had on display. He said, “Actually, if you want to stop by around four-ish, the cast will be here. We’ll all sign something for you.”

Which sounded incredibly awesome. I told him I’d be back, and I hit the floor again. Many adventures later, I stopped back by their booth, but the cast was running a little late. In the meantime, everyone at the booth had read my review, and they all loved the hell out of it. I think they might have appreciated my usage of the word “douchebag,” as it is a word that seldom makes it into reviews.

They told me to come back in an hour. I used the time to stand in a ridiculously long line for Bill Willingham (more on that another day) and an incredibly short line for Brian Azzarello before coming back at around 5:30 to see that the cast had just arrived. I saw Zulay Henao (TAKERS, FIGHTING, S. DARKO), who played Det. Ames, first. She had settled in and was ready to meet some fans. Then, I saw Caleb Steinmeyer (LOST and TRUE BLOOD), the star himself, shuffling around to the back of the table. He looked a bit frazzled, like maybe he’d just gotten off the plane.

Morrissey noticed me and brought me by Henao. I shook her hand, let her know how much I liked her performance, and Morrissey invited me to take a picture with her. I then remembered that I’d meant to ask Leo to stick around (since he’s the one with the camera, as you can see HERE), and had totally forgotten. Morrissey said it was okay, that they’d take the picture and post it to their Facebook. I got behind the table, and Henao put her arm around me. At that point, I realized that I’d been walking around all day, which meant I’d been sweating up a storm. By then, I’d dried off, but I started wondering if I smelled bad. I hoped to Christ I didn’t.

The picture was taken, and Henao signed an illustrated version of herself. I then made my way over to Steinmeyer, who was surrounded by press guys. Morrissey cut through them all so I could meet him. Steinmeyer looked kind of tired, but he was very polite and was eager to sign an illustrated version of himself for me. Morrissey then signed both cards and shook my hand.


BOY WONDER is not just an awesome movie. The people who made it are nice as hell, too. If you get the chance to go to a screening in the future, you should. You’ll have a great time, and you’ll meet good people.

No comments:

Post a Comment