Tuesday, January 3, 2012

THE DUI DIARY: Chapter Twenty-Four

I never thought I’d say it, but court is getting really, really boring. It used to be the best people-watching I could get (aside from maybe hanging out at Wal-Mart). Now it’s business as usual. Even watching the judge bully kids is getting old. Absolutely nothing of note happened.



Until I was called, that is. When I got to the bench, Don and Ferguson were talking about something that had apparently happened in my absence. Not surprising because I missed a court date due to hospitalization. After a moment, I realized that it had also happened in my LAWYER’s absence. Had he missed my court date, too? Longtime readers will recall it has happened once before.


No, Don was there to notify the court that I was in the hospital. However, someone fucked up when it came to getting me a new court date. I was actually scheduled to show up last Friday . . . and no one thought to tell either me or Don. In fact, Don was on vacation in Vegas at the time, and when I was called on Friday, no one was there on my behalf. Luckily, Steve was there for another case, so the judge talked with him instead.


The problem: the judge decided, in my absence and Don’s, to deny the motion to suppress the officer’s testimony. Which means the trial continues as previously planned. Even the judge admitted such a decision seems kind of shady, but what’s done is done.


Here’s the thing: no one mentioned this, but we were all thinking it. The guy who fucked up the scheduling was the judge himself. He just wrote it down wrong on his fucking calendar. Nobody was going to call him on it because no one wanted to piss him off.


Fine. I’ll jump through some more hoops. I return in a couple of months to continue my trial. Hopefully by then court will get more interesting.


TO BE CONCLUDED ON FRIDAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment