Thursday, July 12, 2012

COOL SHIT 7-12-12


CROSSED: BADLANDS #9: Would ya’ look at that beautiful cover? Avatar’s got a lot of balls (in case you DICKS fans haven’t noticed), and it’s good to see them putting out more covers like this. And the book is pretty nice, too. Any time you hear someone complaining about how there are no strong female leads in comics, please direct them to this book. Steve is one of the toughest cunts ever put in a book. Maybe too tough. She finally gives birth in this issue, and her survival instinct kicks in so ruthlessly, she leaves her baby to be killed by the Crossed so she can get away. Considering last issue’s betrayal, this should come as no surprise. And just look at the way she uses sex as a weapon, especially when she’s flashing back to her time in the army. I’m glad Delano is still kicking around.




THE BIONIC MAN #10: Kevin Smith wraps up the first story arc of this book with a titanic duel between Steve Austin and the insane bionic villain who has created an EMP that works at breaking down organic material. Holy shit, right? And he has to do it while his wife hangs from the top of the Washington Memorial and the people who rebuilt him toy with the idea of shutting him down in order to save his body for future missions. Steve’s got a brilliant plan up his sleeve . . . so to speak.



AMERICAN VAMPIRE: LORD OF NIGHTMARES #2: When I heard that Scott Snyder was going to bring Dracula into the mythology of his series, I groaned. Come on, man. Not another popular vampire series that brings Dracula in to cheapen everything! Surprisingly, he pulls it off pretty well. The guy’s name isn’t really Dracula, but no one else knows what to call him. He was clearly Bram Stoker’s inspiration (as the two had met once), but he’s a much different beast. For decades, he’s been kept a prisoner in a UK vault, but now the Russians have stolen him . . . who knows why? I can’t wait to find out!



SUNSET: FIRST LOOK: Nick Bellamy had a rough time in Korea, but when he came home, he insisted that he did nothing but peel potatoes. Now he goes through the modern world, disgusted with the pussies around him while he keeps himself tough and in shape. (Very GRAN TORINO-ish, Mr. Gage.)  As it turns out, it’s a good thing he kept himself tip-top; the mob has just sent guys after him for money he’d stolen many years ago. Now, they’ve found him and murdered his wife. He deals with them pretty handily, and now he’s out for blood. Christos Gage has an excellent sense of violence (in case you missed his work for Vertigo and Avatar). This one looks like it’s going to kick all form of ass. And the first issue is only a dollar! Why not give it a shot?



THE TRANSFORMERS: REGENERATION ONE #81: YES! YES! YES! I’m so excited, I’m fuckin’ giddy! When I was a kid, my favorite comic book was Marvel’s Transformers book. It started out as a 4-issue limited series, but it caught on so well it lasted for 80 issues. (Look at the top of #80, and it will say that this is 80 in a 4-issue series.) When it was canceled, it bummed me out so much that I completely gave up on comic books. No shit. I didn’t even stick out the rest of Marvel’s G.I. JOE, and that was my second favorite. I didn’t pick up another comic until my friend, CJ, put the first EVIL ERNIE trade, YOUTH GONE WILD, in my hands and rekindled the old love.


IDW already brought G.I. JOE back (with Larry Hama, no less!), and now they’ve brought THE TRANSFORMERS back! They’re taking up exactly where they left off, with issue 81! AND! AND! AND! They got Furman and Wildman back! They got the team back together! I feel like I’m a kid again! The only problem I have with the new book is that it seems to draw a bit too much from the other IDW Transformers books right now. The war is over, for example, and Autobots and Decepticons live in an uneasy truce. And Kup takes a bunch of Autobots on an interstellar trip, just like Rodimus. It doesn’t matter, though. I’m just happy to have this book back. (And it seems like they’re discounting what happened in the halfhearted revival series that came out in the ‘Nineties, so that’s cool.)

No comments:

Post a Comment