Thursday, November 19, 2015

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #154: A NEW BOOKSTORE SPROUTS

Remember how I said that I do my best to go to an indie bookstore at least once a month? I try to live up to that, but I'm not always successful. Imagine my surprise when an indie bookstore popped up a mile from where I live . . .


It blew me away. I couldn't believe there was a bookstore so close to me. I saw a sign pointing it out on the same street I live on, just a mile away from where I sleep every night. I saw the sign (no Ace of Base jokes, please) a month ago, but I didn't have the free time to investigate until I had time off. The shitty thing is, this bookstore doesn't have a good location. No one would expect a bookstore there, for one, and for another, it's really hard to find. I can't even describe what it takes to find this place. It's in a strip mall BEHIND a strip mall that you can't see from the street. I drove past the place twice before I found it. If you live in Elmhurst, you'll find it behind 7-Eleven and Mama Maria's.


But shit. When I walked in, it was a nice enough place, but I don't think it was meant for me. From first glance, it looks like this place is aimed more at kids. There is some stuff for adults, but I saw more kids books than adult books. Chances are, I won't be back.


BUT. If you're local and you have kids, this place will be perfect for you. The books I was bragging about finding earlier today actually came from the Frugal Muse in Darien, which is a great place. I picked up a dinged copy of AMERICAN SNIPER from A Book Above. I wanted the book, but it was more of a polite purchase. But still.

A Book Above is not my kind of thing, but if you live in the Chicagoland area, and you have a kid, this is the perfect place for you. It's a wonderful indie bookshop. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment