Saturday, November 28, 2015

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #158: A THINKING TOOL

When I was in high school I bought my first Tarot deck. I did this for a few reasons, but chiefly among them was the fact that I was looking for a religion at the time. I hoped that this shit actually worked. Spoiler alert: it didn't. I also didn't find religion. No offense to those who have their own gods and such, but I found it all to be horseshit. To this day I'm an atheist. But that's beside the point. A story for another day. I taught myself how to read Tarot with that first deck. (PS: It was the Mythic Tarot that I bought. I did so for two reasons: 1. I'm a fan of Ancient Greece. 2. Some of the cards had boobies on them.)


Even though the Tarot is make believe, it does serve a great purpose. Back when John Sandford was writing books under his own name, John Camp, he created a dude by the name of Kidd. He's an art thief and a hacker, but he is also a Tarot reader. No, he doesn't believe it works. He uses it as a thinking tool, and he inspired me to do the same.


Here's the thing: have you ever felt like Tarot cards are for real? There's a reason for that. It's not what the cards actually say. It's the interpretation you give them. You know the situation, so you assign the meaning yourself. That's why they make such a great thinking tool.


Sometimes you find yourself in a situation where you don't know what the fuck to do. I do a quick Tarot reading because it helps me dissect a problem. It helps me see things I wouldn't have thought of before. It kicks my brain into a higher gear.


I have many Tarot decks right now, and I will ask the same question of them all. They will all help me see things from a different perspective or a new light. I highly recommend it as a thinking tool rather than an augur.


I'm incredibly depressed right now, and the Tarot serves as a great thinking tool. It helps me cope.


The most trusted of my decks? The first one I ever bought. It has served me better than any of the others. Its dedication to ancient Greek myths hits me right in the heart, so it is better suited than any other deck for me. Your mileage may vary. I recommend this to everyone with a creative bend to their minds. Don't even read the explanation book. Just look at the cards. They tell their own stories. Stories that will help you figure out what is going on in your own lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment