Sunday, October 15, 2017

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #266: THE RETURN

For the first time in a long time, I had this weekend to myself. No outings, no duties, nothing. So I did what any other sane human being would do: I got the Showtime add-on for Hulu and watched the entirety of the new Twin Peaks. I don't have Showtime, so I had to take advantage of that free trial.


Don't worry. The universe was kind enough to me for not spoiling the series for me, so I will return the favor and not talk about anything that happens on the show. I'm just going to talk about the show.


I didn't watch Twin Peaks when it first aired way back when. I discovered it roughly ten years later while in college. My brothers and I were hooked on it, and that final episode? Holy shit! It was the best thing ever on TV. And we all agreed: David Lynch is going to return in 25 years with more Twin Peaks. We were certain of it.


Imagine my joy when I saw David Lynch and Mark Frost put out the same tweet 25 years later.


Take all the insanity of Twin Peaks back in the day. Multiply it by 15 billion, and you're not even halfway close to the lunacy of The Return.


This is a direct message to everyone who is bringing shit from the past back to the present: If you are unwilling to match Lynch's creative power (dare I say even to exceed it?), don't bother. The Return is not nostalgic bullshit. It's something else entirely. I'm not sure if I understand it all just yet. The final episode for me just ended 15 minutes ago. I still have to process it.


This is what all good art does. It asks questions and sometimes doesn't answer them. I think I'm going to puzzle over this one for quite some time. I urge you to experience it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment