Friday, April 21, 2023

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #660: DEAD TO THE WORLD


 

I find myself reading another of the Sookie Stackhouse books, which were made into the HBO series, True Blood. Dead to the World is the one that season four is based on, the one where Eric has amnesia. Something comes up in the book, and I wish to fuck they'd put it in the TV show.


There's a scene where Eric, who is confused and doesn't remember who he is, has time to kill, so Sookie lets him watch her VHS tapes (!) of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. And Eric thinks it's hilarious! I laughed ridiculously hard at that in the book, and I imagine I would have laughed myself into a hernia if I'd seen it on the show.


It reminded me of something else they left out of the show: Bubba. I understand why they didn't use Bubba, but still. I would have loved that shit. If you haven't read the books, they're about a world in which vampires reveal themselves to the world in an attempt to live peacefully side by side with humans. It turns out that one of the vampires is a very, very famous singer who everyone thinks is dead. On August 16, 1977, in a Memphis morgue, a vampire night attendant sees who he has in his freezer and detects a faint sign of life. The attendant is such a big fan that he feels the need to turn him into a vampire. The only problem is, he was too far gone. When he became a vampire, he wasn't all there. Don't you dare call him by the name you know him as. He doesn't like to think of the past. Call him by his preferred name, Bubba.


The show did a few things right that the books really didn't do well. I'm thinking mainly of Lafayette not getting killed at the beginning of season two as he was in the beginning of the second book. But still. Come on. Bubba would have been great on the show. I guarantee if they'd done that, people would still be talking about True Blood now.


Ah well.

No comments:

Post a Comment