Friday, December 12, 2014

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #137: AND SO IT IS WRITTEN

You know that thing I couldn't talk about? The one thing in my life that I had very little control over, but I managed to change it exactly how I wanted? I think it's time for the details.


After nearly eight years, my job as a conference operator is nearly over. It used to be the best job I ever had, but things changed a few years ago, and I became pretty hateful. Rage ate at my soul on a regular basis. I started referring to work as my eight hours of daily hate. That's no way to live. I was going to leave the company and get some other work, maybe something with a commute time of ten minutes.


And then an opportunity revealed itself. Most of my friends at work were either let go, fired or they quit. Of the few left, most of them moved to another department, and now this department was looking for more team members. I put in for the job as soon as it was posted, and after a long time of waiting and wringing my hands, good news came from on high: I got the job. I start on Monday, and I anticipate being a lot happier. I won't have to deal with many of the things that ate away at the good in me.


Tomorrow is my last day as a conference operator, and it isn't even a full day. At 11:30 am, I will be a free man.


The only drawback is that I have to work from 5:45 am to 2:15 pm. I am not a morning person, and this means I'll have to get out of bed by 4:15 am at the latest. But aside from what I already mentioned, there are some positives, namely that I won't have to deal with traffic anymore. Also, I won't have to park in Timbuktu. I'll probably have one of the best parking spots in the lot, even better than the ones Xerox has reserved, despite the fact that they're no longer in our building.


But I will miss listening live to my radio show on the commute. Still, it'll be nice to see sunlight again when I get out of work. Probably.


So yeah. This is why GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS is coming to an end. Bedtime for me is going to be 10:00 pm at the latest, and my shows are usually ending at that time. I can't justify staying awake long enough to put one of these out. I guess I could cheat and write them earlier and send them out at bedtime, but I don't want to betray the spirit of this nightly blog.


This means there are only two GF's left, at most. I might be too drunk to put them out tomorrow or the next day, and I certainly won't put one out on Sunday, the beginning of my lifestyle change. I think I'll be conscious enough, so I'll say tentatively that there are two posts left. I might surprise you all with a post every once in a while, like on a weekend, or a holiday, or if I'm on vacation, but for now, I'll only commit to one, maybe two, GF posts.


I should mention that it wasn't just my anger that drove me out of my department. I've been doing the same thing for eight years, and I couldn't improve my career any further by staying in the department without becoming management. It was time for a change, and I think this is the best change I can imagine.


Special thanks to Fitz for planting the seed that led to me saving my soul. "I had strings. But now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

































*ahem* I meant that as a reference to the new AVENGERS movie, not PINOCCHIO. Just so we're clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment