Wednesday, December 20, 2017

THE JOHN BRUNI MUSEUM OF MEDIOCRE (AT BEST) SHIT #42: LETTER TO DETECTIVE MYSTERY STORIES #50






[So soon after they started publishing my stories, the editors/owners of Detective Mystery Stories decided to retire. It really was a great little ‘zine. I miss it to this day, although I don’t write much that they would publish these days. I made some good contacts, though, and because of the DMS family, I would go on to get stories published in other venues. This letter was in DMS #50.]


Dear Mr. and Mrs. Johnson,

How are you? I just wanted to write to let you know I’m pleased, once again, with the presentation of my story in DMS. The other stories were excellent, as well, my favorites being “Tinseltown, Illinois” and “The Futility of Resistance,” the emphasis being on the former, as I live in Elmhurst about a half-hour away from Naperville (when traffic is being cooperative), and am glad to see towns close to me portrayed in fiction.

I was reading “The Speakeasy,” and a couple of letters alarmed me. They mentioned your retirement. So soon after you’ve started publishing my stories? Say it’s not so! No, I understand. Retirement is something I wish I could do, and I wish you the best in the future. I’ll miss the magazine, but as Mr. French said in his letter, “You fought the good fight.” Thank you for publishing my stories, and thank you for publishing others that brought me joy. And thank you for Ron Wilber’s cover illustrations; no one could have done it better.


John Bruni

No comments:

Post a Comment