Thursday, July 15, 2021

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #383: BREAK YOUR BACK, MAKE YOU HUMBLE


 

All right, I think the Iron Sheik is pretty funny, but I don't know if I agree with his implied definition of "humble." It sounds like some kind of punishment, to be humbled. I don't see it that way. Well, at least not these days. When I was younger, I was very strong-headed, and I refused to let myself be wrong. I would argue something past the point of lunacy just to be right, but it's been a while since I've done that. I'm older (definitely) and wiser (probably), and while I'm still right most of the time, I'm okay with being proved wrong nowadays.


Being humble is supposed to be a good thing, and even in my strong-headed days, there were some topics I knew I didn't know enough about to discuss them. So I suppose that's humble in my own backwards way. I don't toot my own horn (often), and I try to be as laid back as possible. But when I'm humbled (ie. proved wrong) I see it more as a learning experience. It helps me become a better person. Maybe that's what is missing from a lot of political arguments. Not enough people are willing to listen. Any one of us can be a dumb shit. I'm sure Einstein fucked a few things up, too. No one knows everything despite many, many claims on social media.


So maybe we should stop trying to tear each others' throats out. Maybe we should try to see things from other people's perspectives. The old adage about no one ever being the villain of their own story is true. Maybe if we stop, listen, think things through, we'll all figure out how fucked the human race is and instead of hurtling toward our own collective destruction, perhaps we can course correct and live in a golden age of reason.


But what the fuck do I know?

































Interesting story: I actually met the Iron Sheik once, many years ago. He barely spoke English, and when he was signing a photo for me, I had to spell out my name for the translator, who would then tell the Iron Sheik what to write. And as someone who grew up watching that era of WWF, knowing that he was the Cold War heel, I took great joy and humor in seeing that he wrote on the photo, "USA #`1!"

No comments:

Post a Comment