Friday, July 16, 2021

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #384: MEDICAL BULLSHIT

 So my longtime doctor retired over the Fourth of July weekend. That sucks because now I have to find a new doctor. More to the point, I found the doctor, I just need to get in to see him. Anyone who has had medical problems knows exactly how fucking difficult that is. If you call for an appointment for something, even if it's a big problem, you'll be scheduled a month from now, and that's if you're lucky. Your only other choices are Urgent Care or the ER, and personally speaking, every time I've gone to Urgent Care, they told me to go to the ER instead.


So my appointment with my new doctor is two weeks from now. The problem, however, is that two of my medications just ran out. I went to the pharmacy to request refills, which they usually fax over to the doctor for approval. But since my doctor is retired, it was in question as to whether or not I would get my pills.


I figured I'd call the office and let them know. I was told that my new doctor probably wouldn't refill the prescriptions without seeing me first. That threw me for a fucking loop. Would I have to go through two weeks without my two 'Beetus meds? I started wondering if my pancreas would try to kill me again before I got in to see the doctor. I asked what the odds were that the doctor would refill the meds and was told slim to none.


I asked if the person I spoke to would at least send a request to the doctor's office. He said he would, but I didn't have high hopes. When life kicks you in the teeth enough, you learn to lower your expectations.


On a whim I stopped at my pharmacy on the way home today. I lucked out. The doctor refilled me. Not for the usual three month supply that I'm used to. Just a one month supply. Enough to get me through to my appointment. That was quite the relief.


Sometimes the world surprises you. Not often, but sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment