Monday, October 2, 2023

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #751: A FELLA CAN DREAM

 Last week at work we had a meeting of the minds for our supervisors. We have three national call centers, and I work at the corporate headquarters, so the sups from the other places all came visiting. They had a lot of meetings, so leads had to pick up the slack. And that left the leads' slack to pick up, and I was one of those who helped.


I'm not a sales guy, and yet I keep falling into these sales jobs. I wasn't meant to do this kind of thing. I come from a customer service background with a tech support flavor, so sales is not my strong suit. I'm good at it. Not great, but good. I would much rather not do it, though.


Two days last week I got to do something else. My call count suffered, as did my quota. I suspect that I'm not going to make my monthly quota for September because of it (I took a lot of time off for surgery and one day for Printers Row). It might have been worth it, though. There was little to no stress in doing a lead's job while he was busy doing a sup's job. It felt good do sit at my desk and not take calls from angry and desperate people who refuse to listen to anything I say unless I've said it three completely different times first.


It was relaxing, actually. And it was kind of fun. I'm a problem solver. I like to dig in, look at evidence and figure out solutions. I wasn't exactly solving homicides or anything so noble, but still. I got to dig into little mysteries, and I was able to solve them all. Many were very easy, but the last one I worked on was very difficult and required several different phone calls, but goddammit, I got to the bottom of it.


I miss getting that kind of shit done. The symposium is now over, so from today into the foreseeable future, it's back to sales. Although now I'm starting to wonder if maybe I could get a job as a lead there. I'd have to wait for someone to leave, which would be annoying, but I think I'd be considerably less miserable if I didn't work in my current position.


A fella can dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment