Wednesday, September 8, 2021

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #400: THE TIME I LIVED WORLD WAR II

 Wow. 400 fucking columns. That's outstanding. How the hell did that happen? It feels like I just celebrated doing 300 of these things.


All right. Let's get into it, then.


One more quick word. I wrote this last night, but as I was rereading it before posting, I saw that it's unusually angry for me. It's weird because I was high at the time, and it's supposed to be impossible to be furious when high. Well, that's how bad it was. I decided I would cut most of it out, and if we're all supremely lucky, we'll never have to read that version. So here's the better (I hope) version. By the time you're done, I suspect you might know why I got so fucking pissed off, but it's better to just cut that shit out.


We're going back in time. Not to the 1940's, but to the early 1990's. I think I was in seventh grade, although I might be wrong on that. What I know for sure was that I was at Sandburg Junior High, and a school-wide project was launched. We were going to pretend we were living WWII. It was to teach the importance of civic duty, I believe, and it actually worked in my case. Not right away, naturally. But during these plague years, I think often on this exercise.


First and foremost, all of us boys were relegated to the draft. Sadly, we weren't going to pretend to fight a war. That might have actually been cool. Instead we were just going to Boot Camp. Fuck that shit. I worked very quickly to get myself designated as 4F right away. This is something I would have done in real life, anyway. I've never been a fan of physical exertion, and I certainly had no intentions of being a leg-breaker for the Uncle Sam. I know that wasn't actually at stake, but again, I would have done the same thing in real life. While everyone else was forced to run laps and do push ups and sit ups (this was before the idea of the crunch was introduced into Physical Education), I dined on snacks of the age and got to watch Dumbo.


This is kinda funny, considering I actually am 4F now. If, for some reason, the draft was reinstated and they wanted middle-aged men to kill some motherfuckers, they would still turn me down due to the bad leg.


But it wasn't all fun and games being stuck at home while the boys went off to battle the Hun. (And yeah, that's more WWI than WWII, but they still used the term in the 'Forties.) As in real life, we also had our ration stamps. We had to sacrifice at home so our soldiers could do the best they could. Sacrifice was an important part of the war effort in those days. The government dictated how much of a certain food you could buy. For example. Did anyone argue the point?


Not at school. And for the most part, not in real life, either.


Could you imagine Americans having to go through that shit today? How many people would complain? If I had a Venn Diagram of those who would complain about having to use ration stamps and those who complain about Covid restrictions? I'm pretty sure I'd be looking at a perfect circle.


I guess people just don't give a shit about the common good anymore. Sacrifice is for the cucks, right? And there's another word I just can't stand. And this is the part I'm rewriting per the notes at the beginning. There are about 2,000 words that follow this sentence that I'm about to cut for my personal greater good. I'm getting heated up again, and I'm high yet again, so I'm just stopping right now.


There were also some funny comments about spellcheck, but it's connected too deeply to the anger. I was tempted to leave them in, but fuck it. Sorry..

No comments:

Post a Comment