Monday, September 27, 2021

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #408: MY LITERARY ESTATE

 I've had my literary estate for close to a decade, and much to my shock and horror, the older I get, the more I change it. You'd think that would be a straightforward thing, but it keeps changing, and I have to continue to get trusted friends to witness me signing these things. There are three groups that I switch out on that task so they don't get annoyed with doing this all the time.


Is that weird? That my literary estate keeps changing? I don't know, honestly. And it's not about the people involved. It's just that the circumstances of my life keep changing drastically often. It's so bad that I recently rewrote everything, but before I got anyone to witness my signatures, I had to change it again. I did some editing when I got home from work tonight. I'm a bit concerned that I'll have to change it again before *this* one gets signed. What the fuck?


It's also my changing attitudes. I used to think that if a work was close to being finished, it would be nice if, after my death, someone else finished it. I'm no longer of that opinion. When I'm dead there will be an entry on three (3) thumb drives (I used to think a redundancy plan was enough, but now I need two, just in case) called IN THE EVENT OF MY DEATH which will contain the only things I want out in the world. Finished things. I used to think Harlan Ellison was crazy for wanting all his unfinished work to be burned after his death. But then again, think about how many works are finished posthumously by other authors, and think about how a majority of them suck. Or even worse, a publisher decides to continue publishing works under a dead author's name but written by someone else entirely. I'm not into that.


I wouldn't necessarily say burn my unfinished work. I'm just asking to not have it finished. I'd rather not have my name co-opted, either. I doubt anyone wants to take advantage of someone so low on the totem pole as me, but I can't help but think of Bob Ross. Who would want someone to do that to them? Not me.


Ultimately I think the executor of my literary estate will not have much to do. I'd rather it be that way. It's a hell of a thing to put on someone else, and I don't want to be a burden when I'm not even alive anymore. The big things are taking care of the completed works in that folder I mentioned. Also, posting my last words on Facebook and Twitter.


And yeah. I wrote one final Goodnight, Fuckers to be posted after my death. You know my love of all things Gunsmoke. Every week James Arness, the guy who played Matt Dillon, US Marshal, would write a letter to his fans which was posted on his website. But as he got up in years, he knew he wouldn't be around much longer, so he wrote one last letter to his fans. When he passed, his wife posted it. I teared up while reading it.


Maybe it'll have that kind of effect on you. I hope so. If I die before you, you'll find out all about it.


So yeah. Goodnight, fuckers. As my grandfather used to say, "Sweet dreams, pleasant dreams and all that kinda gas."

No comments:

Post a Comment