Thursday, September 23, 2021

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #406: COOL SHIT

 Remember ages ago when I used to post a Cool Shit column every Thursday talking about all the awesome comic books I read the day before? I miss doing those, but they took up a lot of my time. I'm not going to do those ever again. That's what The Best Comic Book of the Week is for.


But every once in a while I get an itch, and I gotta scratch it.


As with those Cool Shit columns, there are spoilers. Tread lightly.


Yesterday I named Marjorie Finnegan, Temporal Criminal #5 as The Best Comic Book of the Week. I'm glad that Garth Ennis still has the ability to offend me, because this issue is deeply offensive, especially the abortion scene. I am definitely pro-abortion, but this took it a bit too far. The villain of this book is the most evil dude in history, and I can't help but think of him as Jesse Custer's evil twin brother. He even kind of looks like Jesse. I'm not sure if that was intentional. Probably not. But this guy was born a genius. He had coherent thought in the womb, and much to his surprise, there is a fetal twin. But the twin is just a regular person. Not a great conversationalist in the womb. When the mother tries to get an abortion, it surprises this dude and he manages to put his twin brother in front of him in order to save his own life.


So yeah. That's pretty fucked up. And there are other fucked up things in this book, which earned the title I mentioned earlier.


But the other books I read last night were really fucking good.


Stillwater # 10 had some seriously fucked up things in it. If you don't know, the idea of Stillwater is that it's a small shitsplat of a town where people who are born there live forever, and they don't age. Unless they leave. If they die in the outside world, then they're dead. If they age and come back, they will stop aging upon their return. So naturally there are a lot of kids in town who are middle-aged, and one of them murders someone in an adult body, which was pretty surprising.


And That Texas Blood keeps getting darker and crazier. I'm glad to see that the private investigator was heavily influenced by Kolchak. It makes a lot of sense, all things considered. I'm glad I'm finally caught up. The back matter is great, too. It feels natural, unlike what Alan Moore usually does. Moore is cumbersome with his extras. Condon's work is easy on the eyes, and straight to the point.


And then there is GI Joe #286. That's the one from the 'Eighties that Larry Hama took up writing again a few years ago. This issue answers a great question: how did Snake Eyes meet Storm Shadow? And I love the answer, especially when the unthinkable happens: SNAKE EYES TALKS. OK, he doesn't say much, and it's not as profound as something Silent Bob might say, but still. It genuinely surprised me.


So yeah. While a lot of weeks are dry, this one was pretty fruitful with great comic books.


PS: I saw someone bring up Matt Damon in the letters column for Stillwater, which made me laugh my ass off. It was something I first thought of when I saw the trailer for the movie, and I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment