Wednesday, March 23, 2022

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #478: WHO WOULD WANT TO STEAL MY IDENTITY?



 I haven't talked about this much, but someone tried to steal my identity earlier this month. I found out when I went to buy groceries, knowing that I had enough money in my bank account, only to have my card turned down at the store. I figured it was a faulty chip or something, but when I got home I discovered there were two transactions from my account that I didn't make. Both went to a company I'd never heard of, much less did business with. I Googled it and discovered it was some food delivery service. I don't use those (except for pizza), and I doubt that Fantuan delivers pizza.


These were sizeable payments, and it put me in negative numbers, so yeah, it pissed me the fuck off. And I found out how it happened, which I won't got into here. Someone I know did something stupid, and I did something stupid by . . . forget it. The identity theft is not what I want to talk about.


I wanted to mention how awesome PNC is compared to the shit weasels that comprise US Bank, where I used to do business. US Bank royally fucked me over. When I first got an account there, it was because my old bank had gone out of business, so my brother came to US Bank, too. I cannot stress this enough: I told these people again and again that I didn't want my account linked to my brother's. And they assured me, no, they will be separate. Guess what. When someone stole my brother's identity, and he couldn't pay the bank back (why should he?), they saw that our accounts were linked and decided to take the funds out of my account, which crippled me financially at the time. I made angry phone calls and wrote angry emails and got so pissed off that I even wrote actual letters that I sent through the mail. They could not have cared less about what they'd done to me. I'm certain that their actions led me down the path to my eventual declaration of bankruptcy. I had control of my bills up until then.


So fuck US Bank. I went to PNC, and there have been a few disputes with them over the years. Nothing serious, and they even decided in my favor a few times. But when my identity was at risk, they stepped in and believed me to the point where they credited my account until the dispute could be resolved. And holy shit! They actually decided in my favor! I got nearly $200 back!


This sounds like a commercial to my own ears, so I'm going to stop now. But I'm genuinely surprised that a financial tragedy had actually been avoided in my life for a change.


Oh! By the way, in case you missed it or I was lax in mentioning it, FUCK US BANK.

No comments:

Post a Comment