Friday, January 21, 2022

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #452: THE BEST NIGHT OF SLEEP I'VE EVER GOTTEN

 First off, I want to say that you should not try this at home (or anywhere else for that matter). It worked very, very well for me, but I have a high substance tolerance. And I've only been able to do this once, anyway. So yeah. Keep that in mind.


I've never been very good at sleeping. I'm a lifelong insomniac who discovered that alcohol can help me get to sleep, so I did that for years. The thing is, it was rarely a rewarding sleep. I still felt miserable and tired the next day. But at least I lost consciousness.


Cannabis helps quite a bit. I'm still not fully rested the next day, but it works better than the booze did.


So this happened the last time I was in the hospital for an overnight stay. It's impossible to sleep in a hospital, by the way. Nurses and techs disturb yours sleep constantly to the point where you're lucky if you can close your eyes for longer than a half an hour. It's even worse if they have a blood pressure cuff on your arm at all times.


But this was the first time since starting my cannabis habit that I was in the hospital for an overnight stay, so I came prepared. I wanted to make sure that I would sleep through anything and everything, including when the blood tech visits at the crack of dawn to exsanguinate me.


So here's what I did. I timed it perfectly. About an hour before I wanted to go to bed, I popped an edible, then watched some TV while waiting for it to kick in. An hour after that, I took a few Unisom and another edible, got into bed and hit the button for the nurse. I had to time it right, or I wouldn't get what I wanted, which was my next dose of morphine, because I was in constant pain from my guts. Too soon, and I wouldn't get it. Too late, and I might pass out and not get that optimal night of sleep.


The nurse arrived and gave me my dose, and I closed my eyes. I slept wonderfully! It was so amazing, it's one of my favorite things I've ever done. And yes, I slept through the blood tech and a bunch of other nurse visits. I knew the blood tech had visited because I had a new bandage on the inside of my elbow when I didn't have one the night before.


Holy shit, that was great. I think about that night of sleep often, wishing I could replicate it on my own. I've never felt so fresh in my entire life as I did the next morning.


So yeah. The next time I go to the hospital, I expect I'll have yet another perfect night of sleep. If not for the whole hospital part, I might actually look forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment