Wednesday, August 3, 2022

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #496: GET BACK


 So a while back I got kind of curious about the documentary on the making of Get Back. I thought it was kind of an odd project for Peter Jackson, but then again, if I'd directed six Tolkien movies I'd probably want to get as far away from a CGI film as I could get.


You wouldn't think it, but when I was a kid I was a huge Beatles fan. I remember in junior high I won a contest in music class. The teacher would play a Beatles song, and the two students had to write the name of it on the chalkboard. Whoever did this first won. The loser got replaced by the next contestant. And I got 'em all. Interest waned when I hit high school, though, and it occurred to me while I was thinking about watching the documentary that I'd never really seen these guys as *just* guys. No one really does. People see them as musical icons, not flesh and blood people. That's what made up my mind for me.


And that aspect is my favorite part about this documentary. My least favorite is how fucking long it is. I decided I would just watch it fifteen to twenty minutes at a time while getting ready for bed. I'd be high out of my mind, and when I was ready to pass out, it was time to turn it off and resume it tomorrow.


It's interesting to see how they conduct themselves. Ringo clearly doesn't want to be there. George just wants to go with the flow, evident when he says that he'll play anything. John seems like he wants to be elsewhere, but he wants to get along to get along. And Paul just wants to make music.


I identify with him on that one. All I want to do is write. If it doesn't get published, that's a bummer, but on to the next thing.


(It should be noted that I was named after Paul. Not John. I was named John for my grandfather. My middle name is Paul because Mom was such a fan. It irritates me when I'm in a doctor's waiting room, and the nurse calls out my name as John Paul. I'm not a John Paul. This thing has haunted me my entire life. It could be worse. I have a cousin named Erik after Estrada, and one of my brothers has Cornelius for his middle name, as in Planet of the Apes.)


All in all, I consider the documentary worth the ridiculous investment of time. If you have Disney+ and you like the Beatles, I say go for it.





























See? I told you some of these GF column ideas were a bit old. Wait until I talk about the Peele Twilight Zone that I watched months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment