Friday, August 5, 2022

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #498: TODAY'S PROBLEM

 OK, it's not really today's problem, but since I got out of detox it has amplified quite a bit. This goes back a few years to the first time I tried quitting caffeine. But now, not only am I alcohol free, but I'm also caffeine free, too. And I'd like to stay that way as much as possible.


It pisses me off that whenever I go to a restaurant, be it fast food or whatever, I need to choose between having sugar and having caffeine. They simply don't have an option that is caffeine free and sugar free. I'm a diabetic and an addict, so it's a tough fucking choice for me.


And I know. A lot of you may be saying to go with the caffeine because no one cares if you're addicted to that shit. It's practically a requirement to be human. "Don't talk to me until I've had my coffee" says just about everyone who works in a corporate office. Some of the same people who say that also look down on alcoholics and junkies and other addicts, which is pretty hypocritical if you ask me.


What's the harm? How does hypertension sound to you? Caffeine drives up your blood pressure, as it certainly did to me, so that's pretty unhealthy. And if you think you're not addicted to caffeine, try to stop. I'm good at quitting caffeine. I've done it at least a dozen times. The withdrawal headaches are debilitating. You can't concentrate on anything except the pain, and aspirin is not going to work on that. I went into caffeine withdrawal once while I was in the hospital on morphine, and not even that cut through the headaches.


But I'm getting away from myself. Whenever I'm home, I drink Caffeine Free Diet Coke. It would be nice if that was an option in restaurants. Shit, I'll even take the Pepsi option, and I don't like Pepsi. I usually go with the caffeine free option because I have insulin that I can up the dosage on. But that can't be healthy, and it's certainly not cost effective for when I no longer have my insulin pens.


So f I get a diet drink, it's got caffeine. If I get something without caffeine, like Sprite or Sierra Mist or Mug root beer, it's got sugar in it. I could get water, but I drink water all the time. When I'm eating, I need a beverage with some taste to it.


I've found there is one and only one exception to this rule: White Castle. They have a Freestyle machine, so I can get my Caffeine Free Diet Coke. I guess I'm going to start answering the Crave more often these days.


And don't come at me with Burger King. Yes, they have a Freestyle. No, they don't have Caffeine Free Diet Coke. They only have a handful of options on their Freestyle, which defeats the fucking purpose of having a Freestyle. You're supposed to have those in order to have ALL Coke products on it. Might as well go back to the regular fountain machine, those fucks.


PS: I went to the York Theater today in Elmhurst, and though they have a mere fountain machine, THEY HAVE CAFFEINE FREE DIET COKE. So at least there's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment