Thursday, October 27, 2016

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #234: THE KINDNESS OF STRANGERS

I've seen a lot of horrible shit on my commute to and from Chicago every day. Like the time I saw a dead body at the train station. Or the time someone had to be literally thrown off the train. Or the time that a street preacher told me to get home before I died. Or even the time that the weird guy stood outside a bank and constantly yelled, "FUCK BANK!" Over and over again. I'm still not sure if he was requiring action or just naming a bank.


But it's not all bad. There are some good people out there. A while back, when my laptop was in the shop (hence why I didn't write about it at the time), I saw a guy walking along, and something dropped out of his bag. His phone and a money clip. He kept on walking without a care in the world. Before I could open my mouth to tell him, someone else notified him of it. He thanked them and went back to retrieve his property.


And then, this week, I saw a woman who missed the last step on her way out of the train. She cried out and hit the pavement face first. I stopped, ready to step in and help, when I saw a crowd of people surround her and pull her to her feet. She was shockingly not harmed. I would have thought she'd at least have a few cuts, but she was okay. Just rattled. She laughed it off.


I hate the city. It's an awful place full of awful people. It would be beautiful without the humans. But it's not all bad. There are decent people out there, and they're always ready to step forward to help. Remember to do your good deed for the day.


One more thing: ever read Mark Millar's HUCK? It's fuckin' great. Remember #OneGoodDeed. Click on it for an awesome news story.

No comments:

Post a Comment