Wednesday, November 1, 2017

THE JOHN BRUNI MUSEUM OF MEDIOCRE (AT BEST) SHIT #16: FIRST HAND (SIDEBAR TO LOCAL HAUNTS)



[This sidebar accompanied my Local Haunts piece in the Elmhurst College Leader. It was true then, and it’s still true today: the Country House makes the greatest cheeseburger in the world. I go at least once or twice a month. I also go out to Bachelor Grove Cemetery every once in a while. One time I went with my friend and co-creator of THE COCAINE! BROS. Robert Tannahill. He took a picture of the double grave all the way back and left from the gate. It looked like someone had been digging in it. When we got the film developed, he saw fog in the shape of a face. Sure enough, it was clearly a face, and it took us a moment to see a second figure, this one head and shoulders with two cigarette burns for eyes. I would love to post that picture here, but goddammit. That asshole lost the picture when he moved away from Chicago. As for Munger Road, it is no longer as creepy as it used to be. It’s paved and well-lit. The house by the railroad tracks is gone. There are no more frogs or even fog. Too bad.]



I went to a lot of these places in order to research them, and given the number of sites I visited, I had a minimal amount of “supernatural experiences.”


The first was at the Country House. I had just finished my interview with David Regnery and was unlocking my car door when I heard a knocking sound on the hood of my car. It wasn’t anything weak like a tapping, it was an actual knocking. It was my second trip to the restaurant (of three), and I have not experienced anything else there. I don’t know what to make of it, but spooks or not, the Country House makes the best cheeseburger I’ve ever had.


At a second trip to Bachelor Grove Cemetery (again, of three), I didn’t have any experience while I was actually there. I took a few pictures. Nothing fancy, just a point and click camera. When the film developed, all the pictures except for one came out with a strange white streak through them in the dark background. I don’t know what to make of these pictures, but I’ve been asking around. So far, there hasn’t been an explanation, but I’m having a friend of Richard T. Crowe look at them.


Aside from that, I just went to very spooky places. In fact, the first time I went out to Munger Road, it was 3 am, and raining fiercely, complete with thunder and lightning. Fog covered everything, but I saw no dead children. Whether these places are haunted or not, I don’t know, but they certainly are scary places to be.


And yes, I do have a pinch of dirt from Mary Alice Quinn’s grave. I experienced the smell of roses while I was there, but that was because someone actually left a couple of roses there that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment