Thursday, June 14, 2018

THE JOHN BRUNI MUSEUM OF MEDIOCRE (AT BEST) SHIT #55: INTERESTING CONVERSATIONS

[I posted this one on my old MySpace blog back in the day. My life has been greatly enhanced due to my consumption of alcohol, and one of the most important benefits of drinking is getting into weird conversations with strangers. What follows is a true story. I hope that guy is still alive and entertaining the next generation of drunkards.]



Last night I was talking with a friend about one of the most important benefits of getting drunk: having interesting conversations with fellow drunkards, usually strangers, in various rundown bars. We were talking about some of the weird things these raving lunatics have said to us over the years.

He then reminded me of a conversation I had with an old, stooped-over man a couple of years ago. I don’t remember where I was, probably some place down in Willowbrook, and he sat next to me at the bar and shook his white mane of hair hard enough to spray me with a blizzard of dandruff. When he’d seen that some of his flesh flakes had wound up in my whiskey, he apologized and bought me a new drink. He then started talking to me about assassinations.

“Fer instance,” he said, waving his finger around at no one in particular, “did you know that Elvis was the man behind the Kennedy assassination?”

I stifled a laugh because he’d said it so sincerely I was afraid he’d break a bottle over my head if he thought I wasn’t taking him seriously. “Elvis Presley? The singer?”

“You betcha britches,” the old man said.

“So Elvis was the man on the grassy knoll?”

“What?” He looked at me for a moment, his muddled gray eyes looking in two different directions. After a moment of silence, he realized what I was saying. “No! Not Jack Kennedy! Everyone knows that Bigfoot put JFK down! I’m talkin’ about Bobby Kennedy!”

This time I did laugh. “Bigfoot? Are you sure?”

“I’ve seen pictures of the grassy knoll, my friend. There are footprints there. No one has feet that big. No one.” He finished his drink and ordered another one.

“But Bobby Kennedy? They definitely know who plugged him.”

“Naw, the Ay-rab was just the fall guy. Elvis pulled the trigger on that one!”

“Why?”

“Revenge,” the old man said.

“For what?”

“The King wanted Marilyn Monroe to himself, but Kennedy got to her and squirted a bunch’ve swimmers into her first. He couldn’t abide putting his pecker where Kennedy’s had been.”

“I thought we were talking about Bobby, not JFK,” I said.

“We are. Elvis couldn’t get his hands on JFK, so he shot the guy’s brother instead. The next best thing.”

I slapped my forehead. “Of course. But that doesn’t answer one question.”

“It answers all my questions.”

“Why did Elvis wait so long to cap RFK? Wouldn’t it have made more sense to do it earlier?”

He licked his chapped, peeling lips and said, “Revenge is a dish best served cold.”

I nodded thoughtfully, and we drank in silence for a moment. Then I asked, “So, why did Bigfoot do it?”

“He was hired to do it,” the old man said.

“By the Mafia? The Cubans? Who hired him?”

He grunted. “Them fellas’re small time. No, it was aliens.” And then he stood and silently slipped away into the crowd. I never did find out if he was fucking with me, but I know this for sure: if I wasn’t a drinker, I would never have been involved with this interesting conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment