Thursday, July 6, 2023

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #699: SELLING BOOKS AT COMICONS

 A while back I saw this thing about whether or not authors should try getting a table at comics conventions. A lot of people seemed to be of the opinion that it's something that should be done with the idea that most people aren't there to buy books. Do it but don't expect much.


I tried selling books at Wizard World Chicago once upon a time, and it is my considered advice to not do it at all. Back then I loved comics conventions. Now I have fallen out of love with them. I have no interest in ever going to one again. But keep in mind, back when I tried to do this, people still went to these things because of comic books. I'm sure there are still a few who do, but they've been overshadowed by movies and TV shows so much that it's kind of galling that anyone dares call these comicons.


So yeah. Almost everyone is there to meet celebrities or go to panels on whatever's going on in the MCU or to see whatever disaster DC is putting together for the big screen. After customers have paid ungodly sums for just getting a ticket and then parking, they're not likely to buy books. They have a list of people they want to meet and how much they will pay for that. Considering the prices for these things, they won't have money to buy a book. There's a reason Artists Alley keeps dwindling year after year. It's been a while since I've been to one of these things, but I wouldn't be surprised to discover that there are only a couple of rows in AA these days.


Here is the number one thing that will happen to you if you decide to do this. I know all about it because this happened to me over and over and over again. Someone will pick up your book and flip through it, then put it down. "I thought there'd be pictures," they always say. Always. And then they'll walk away.


Let's assume that your publisher isn't going to go crazy and get a booth. I don't know of any publisher crazy enough to do that because publishers want to make money, but let's assume they're not involved. You're going to wind up paying hundreds of dollars for a table in AA. Maybe it's up to a thousand by now. I wouldn't be surprised. And then you're going to sell maybe five books. I think that's what I sold over the weekend I tried this at WWC. Certainly no more than ten.


Financially, it's not worth it. The only thing you might have to gain is word of mouth, and when most people aren't interested in buying that book, they're definitely not going to talk about it. Maybe the five people who buy the book will talk about it. Possibly. As far as I know, my five did not.


If you must go to a comicon to sell books, don't do one of the big ones like C2E2 or San Diego. Not unless you like losing massive amounts of money. Take it to a smaller show. The ones that can be contained in a high school gymnasium, for example. Or an outdoors place like DuPage County sometimes puts on. I miss Dancon. I would have sold books there in a heartbeat. If you write horror, and chances are, if you're reading this you do, I'd try shows like Days of the Dead or Flashback Weekend. I've done both shows and did well, although I recommend going with a partner and sharing the costs of the table.


But for the love of fuck, don't sell books at a comicon. It's a disaster waiting to happen. A disaster I know well.

No comments:

Post a Comment