Thursday, July 13, 2023

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #704: NON-WRITING WRITING WORK


 

Today I did a lot of writing work that didn't include actual writing. For example, I updated my website. Some of my stuff went out of print. So did some of the free stories, sadly. I took down the links that no longer worked. I also took some other stuff out. It sounded too much like a younger, brasher me than I liked. I also took the nudity out. I doubt anyone wanted to see my dick on that website. If you did, then it has immortal life in print. You can find it in Tabard Inn issue two if you like.


I also went through the process of setting up a new Goodreads giveaway. Those usually are pretty successful for me. It's going to be for Trail of Blood, so when it gets approved, I'll post the link.


I also looked into Bookbub, which I don't think I'll be doing. Your Kindle books need to be part of Kindle Unlimited, and mine aren't. They won't be until they change the 7-day return policy. If you don't know what that is, people who are members "buy" your book, and you get paid your share. They read it in under 7 days and return it, and then you have to pay Amazon back, which is something I'm not willing to do.


I put out a few book review requests, but I haven't had much luck with that so far.


But the big thing I did today was begin the process of starting up a Patreon. It's been something people have suggested for a while, but I was always concerned that I'd put it together, and no one would go for it. Ah, fuck it. I'm doing it. I'll post the link when it's approved. The idea is to treat it like a Middle Ages patron. They helped keep artists alive by paying for room and board, etc. So for the basic pledge, you'll get a newsletter of sorts with writing updates, peeks at works in progress, links to new publications, news releases before anyone else gets to know, occasional giveaways, etc. To let you know that your money is going toward something. Higher pledges offer the opportunity to have your works in progress assessed by me, or if you're not a writer, I'll name a character after you in something that will definitely be published. Not to mention being mentioned in the acknowledgements of all my books going forward.


That's how I spent my day. More news to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment