Monday, November 13, 2023

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #781: BACK ORDER

 I had a bit of a rough time of it lately, and it's yet another reason I fucking hate that I'm forced to go to CVS for my medications.


Two weeks ago I got my usual notification that CVS was trying to renew my prescription for Novolog, which is the fast-acting insulin I take to keep me alive three times a day. I replied with YES and, just in case, I made the request to my endocrinologist, too. On Wednesday, as I was running low on my last pen, I checked back in with the MyChart app, and the insulin had been sent over to CVS. So I called CVS's automated system and was advised that the prescription was still being processed. I figured that meant I'd have it by the next day.


The next day comes, and no dice. This time I talked to a live person only to find out that Novolog is on a national back order. And these CVS fucks didn't tell me about it.


If I was still allowed to go to my local pharmacy instead, they would have absolutely told me about this and offered alternatives. But no, now that I had only three shots worth of insulin left, FUCKING NOW I'm being told that it's on back order. If there was something that literally helped keep you alive, and you were told at the 11th hour that it was on national back order even though they already knew this, how reasonably would you respond?


I told my endocrinologist, and she sent an alternative to CVS. Surprise! On Friday I learned that my insurance wouldn't cover it. So now I had to get another alternative, and thankfully this one was covered. The problem: I had to wait until Monday to get it. FUCK.


So over the weekend I had to get creative. At least, I thought, I wouldn't get any low blood sugar surprises during this time. So I figured out when to use my final dose, which I saved for Saturday night as I like to treat myself a little if I don't have to work the next day. And then I had to take a few guesses on how Toujeo, my long-acting insulin for nighttime injections, would work using it during waking hours instead.


To paraphrase a great Knight of the Round Table in modern times, I chose wisely. The only Toujeo injection I fucked up was the one this morning. I didn't use enough and was in the 200s when I got home from work. But I finally have my insulin pens.


So I made a pizza from scratch tonight. Why not live a little? Celebrate.


Fucking back order . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment