Monday, September 29, 2014

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #75: GOING OFF MY MEDS

First of all, wow. I've done 75 of these fuckers? I thought I'd surely get bored with writing them by now, or at least I'd run out of ideas or inspiration. I still might. Who knows? Hopefully, I'll get to 100. That would be cool.


Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to try an experiment. Don't worry, I'm not going off of all my meds. I will still use my hypertension and high cholesterol pills. My problem is with the 'Beetus medications.


For a while, I'm sure you've all noticed me complaining about low blood sugar. That's pretty good for someone with a bad case of the 'Beetus, but my blood sugar was getting dangerously low. I started getting the shakes. I started feeling ill and off balance. Things like that. It threw me off so badly that almost every time I felt that way, it ruined a night of writing for me. I started drinking a can of Coke at lunch to even things out, and shockingly enough, even after occasionally adding a Monster in the morning, my blood sugar was STILL too low when I tested it at home. I got a reading of 80 that day, which is nuts.


But I don't want to drink that stuff anymore. I beat a lifelong caffeine addiction, and I'm afraid I'm going to get hooked on it again. Going through withdrawals for that was not fun. (Plus you get dirty looks from recovering junkies, which is kind of embarrassing.)


I currently take two medications for the 'Beetus, and I take each of them two times a day. That should give you an idea of how bad my case was when I first started out. I think I'm out of the woods on days I don't resort to cheating on my diet (which happens a lot more than one would think; NOT cheating, that is).


Tomorrow, I'm ditching one of my meds, and I'm going to keep a careful watch on my blood sugars, just to see what happens. If I get the results I think I'm going to get, I'll continue with the experiment. More as it develops . . .


Eat your damn oatmeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment