Saturday, November 8, 2014

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #109: FALLING OUT OF LOVE WITH FICTION

Sorry. That sounded a bit more dramatic than I meant it to sound. I mean to ask my fellow writers: have you ever written a story for a while, so that you have a great deal of work into it, and have suddenly fallen out of love with it? Maybe it takes a turn you didn't expect, and you no longer care for it? That has happened to me recently.


The way I work is, I work on a novel, and when I finish the first draft, I let it simmer for a while so I can work on short fiction. When I'm done with the short story ideas that have accumulated in my head, I go back to the novel and work on the second and third (which is usually the final) drafts.


Right now, I'm working on short stories, and the one I'm struggling through is really eroding my desire to write it. I think it's a great idea, but everything I try is doing its best to turn me away. I'm starting to think that even though I enjoy this idea, I want to quit and move on to something else. I believe in this short story, at least until the middle point of the narrative, but the ending doesn't want to help me out here. Does anyone have an idea as to what I should do? My initial thought is to just move on, but I think I have something here.


It's so aggravating. I don't normally write fantasy stories, and this one is a sword and sorcery tale. It's resisting me, so I wonder if I should save it for another day.


Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment