Wednesday, November 2, 2022

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #557: THERE'S JUST ONE MORE THING

 OK, one more Halloween post, and I'm done. Jeez, I hear you say. For someone who doesn't care much about Halloween you sure write a lot of Goodnight, Fuckers about it. Yeah, I guess I do. But this will be it for now.


At work we have employee engagement activities once a month. This one was on last Friday, so it was Halloween themed. The first activity was a pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey type thing. One of my supervisors gave me a blindfold, and I thought OH SHIT.


Why? Because having been a heavy drinker for decades I have lost my ability to balance properly. I never had a lot to begin with, but if I close my eyes--even dead sober--I lose my balance and risk falling flat on my face. At that point I hadn't had a drink in 100+ days, but from my understanding, once you lose your ability to balance in such a fashion, you never get it back.


Add to the fact that she was going to spin me around a few times while I was blindfolded? I fully expected this to end in a trip to the ER.


I gritted my teeth and hoped for the best. As soon as the blindfold was on, I felt my legs go to rubber. She then spun me around a couple of times, and I thought for sure I was going to turn into a puddle. But then she said go, and I walked forward with both arms out. It was a sticker, not a needle, so I had that going for me. I surprised myself by making it to the board. I even managed to put the sticker on the board. Nowhere near where it was supposed to go, naturally, but I got it there.


Not bad. Maybe that sense of balance isn't as far gone as I thought it would be. I wouldn't put too much faith in that, though. I still have a bad foot, and it was like walking with a shoe made of Jell-O.

No comments:

Post a Comment