Tuesday, November 15, 2022

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #566: WEIRD


 I came to Weird Al as many my age did: through "Eat It." And then a friend of mine played me "Nature Trail to Hell" and I knew I'd be a fan for life. So of course I had to watch Weird: The Al Yankovic Story. It's on Roku, so it's free if you want to wade through the commercials. I'm pretty sure this is the first thing I've ever watched on Roku. I loved the hell out of it.


If you're looking for the true story, you're in the wrong place. He's the greatest living parody song writer on earth, so why would he not parody his own life? Going on from here, we have some spoilers, so beware.


I love that it starts with the usual don't-do-that-crap-you're-going-to-be-famous-for-someday stuff from his dad to the point where he viciously beats the shit out of an accordion salesman. No, Al has to get a job at the factory where you don't get to know what they make there until you get the job. (He doesn't even find out when he does get the job!) Of course, guess what his father used to be when he was a kid? That's right, an accordion player. It tore his heart out, and he wanted to stop his son from treading the same waters. Oh yeah, and Mr. Yankovic grew up in, um, an Amish paradise . . .


Did you know that "Eat It" was the original song and Michael Jackson ripped him off with "Beat It?" Did you know that Al was in a torrid love affair with Madonna? Did you know that Al got the idea for "Like a Surgeon" when he was brought back to life in the ER after a vodka binge? Most importantly, did you know that Weird Al was assassinated live on stage by Madonna?


One of my favorite parts is when he comes up with "Another One Rides the Bus," and no one knows who the bassist for Queen is. Rainn Wilson as Dr. Demento and Jack Black as Wolfman Jack are astonishingly funny. And I love that Daniel Radcliffe continues his trend of doing batshit crazy things in his attempt to leave Harry Potter behind him.


Although I have one problem with this movie. When Al goes to kill Pablo Escobar, why on earth did they not put Radcliffe in the Rambo body suit from UHF?!?!?!?!??!!! Talk about a missed opportunity.


I got to meet Weird Al twice. Once was when he was on his Off the Deep End tour at Drury Lane, where I would eventually get a job selling season tickets to theater. The second time was for his children's book tour. He was at Anderson's in Naperville, and when I told him about that concert and said that it was odd to see people stage diving at that theater, and he said, "I didn't stage dive, did I?" No, he didn't. And he told me that was probably the last time he could have gotten away with doing something like that in his life. Seeing him live was a lot better than seeing Gallagher live. Weird Al is a classy act. Always has been, always will be.

































Did you notice who the real Weird Al played in the movie? One of the Scotti Brothers!

No comments:

Post a Comment