Wednesday, November 16, 2022

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #567: SICK

 Here's a thing I miss about drinking. Whenever I started feeling sick, if I caught it just in time, I could drink the illness away. I did that for a good portion of my life, and as a result, I only ever got sick once a year, not counting pancreatitis and other organ issues. I'm talking about sneezing, coughing, congested, gimme some NyQuil sick. That one time a year would usually be around January or February.


So I've been sick for the last few days. I started feeling it a little on Friday, and it got worse over the weekend. I think I'm on the better side of it now, but it pissed me off. If I'd still been drinking like a fish I would have got it in time.


Does this mean I'm going to get sick like everyone else now? What the hell?


It made me long for the good ol' days of noticing a sneeze, maybe a runny nose, and then slamming a fifth of whiskey to make sure the germs didn't take hold. Those days were fun.


Yeah, there was a part of me that wanted to get a handle on Friday and take care of this like I used to. But Friday was my 119th day from booze. Today is #124. It would suck to top out now. I'm just going to have to suck it up, I guess.


And by it, I mean the Quils. DayQuil for work, NyQuil for home. I'm slightly high from cold medicine right now.


Bourbon would probably feel better. At least until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment