Saturday, August 6, 2016

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #189: MY GOOD DEED FOR THE DAY

On my way home I usually get on my train about 20-25 minutes before it's ready to leave the station. It's good because I get my pick of the seats, and I get a lot of quality reading time in. Today's train was kind of different, though.


So far I've seen a couple of horrible things on the train. I've seen a lot of apathetic things. But I have seen zero good things.


The car was half-full when it happened. Someone jostled my seat pretty badly, and I looked up to see an extraordinarily beautiful woman moving past me to get to the next car. She didn't have a care in the world if she disturbed someone else's world. Except when she tried to open the door, it wouldn't open. She tried for about a minute and looked very confused when she couldn't get through. Everyone in the car looked at her, but no one said anything.


I said, "Do you need help?" She said yes. I stood up, and I opened the door for her. She was very appreciative, and she moved on.


And then I saw it happen again with a little old lady. I offered my assistance and helped her on her way. Then came this scrawny little dude who tried to open the door with both hands. I helped him get through, as well.


By the time the train started rolling I helped about five people get through that door. Later, as we were headed for Kedzie (our first stop), I saw the big strong burly conductor try to get through that door. He heaved on that fucking thing for a couple of seconds, and then he stopped to catch his breath. I was about to offer my assistance when he rallied his strength and burst through.


And then I saw that he'd only gotten through because there was another conductor on the other side of the door helping him.


Jesus. I'm not that strong. I consider myself kind of a weakling. Metra should really fix that door.


If you're one of those people who lament the lack of good deeds in the world, I have but one thing to say to you: you can change that. Helping strangers can sometimes lead to a better world. Give it a try sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment