Tuesday, April 25, 2023

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #662: ALTERNATE UNIVERSE

 Remember how, back when I lost my second toe, when I got out of the hospital I had this weird feeling that I'd accidentally been sent to an alternate universe? That feeling came back last week when it was my grandfather's death anniversary.


When I got out of the hospital I saw a lot of new stuff had been built since I'd gone into the hospital. Is it possible to put up an entire building in a couple of weeks? It might be. And where did all these gyms come from? They weren't there before, but here they were. And it made me think that everything was so similar to what I remembered, but it was just different enough, that I might be in the alternate universe next door.


I could have sworn Gramps died in 2016. I have a memory of sitting at his gravestone before Grandma died and looking at the 2016 engraving and thinking, holy shit, Gramps missed a lot of crazy shit. He was around for the beginning, but he had no idea how fucked up things would get.


So my aunt told me she was coming to visit for Grandma's death day, which is Friday, and we discussed Gramps being gone for six years. Six? No, it was seven. He'd been gone since 2016. No, she said, he died in 2017. I was so certain she was wrong that I prepared myself to take a picture of the grave and send it to her.


When I got there, the stone said 2017. How could that be?


Unless I'm in a universe I wasn't born in. Perhaps the one next door. That period of my life was pretty fucked up, after all. I was in the last months of being an alcoholic, and a heavily self-medicated one at that. I'd just lost my second toe. Grandma had just passed. Homelessness loomed in my near future. I also had some painkillers that I washed down with booze on a regular basis. Was it possible that this shit just piled up on top of me and phased me into an alternate universe?


It sounds stupid, but I feel that deep down inside I actually am in another universe right now. It would explain a lot. Then again, for a long time I thought I'd died in January 2020 while going through alcohol withdrawals, and that this world was just a living hell, and I was wrong about that. I mean, I was wrong, right? Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment