Tuesday, May 2, 2023

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #667: TRAINING

 I hate trainings at work. 95% of them are useless. I attended a handful of trainings that were useful two jobs ago. And there were a couple of hours of training in the 10 years I worked at the library that weren't useful but were interesting. So naturally I hate training at work.


I had to do a two hour session on Saturday, and it was pretty useless. Anyone with common sense already knew everything in that training. (Yes, I hear you. Not everyone has common sense. But let's focus on "common" in there. I will grant you that on average people are stupid, but the training was so useless that even the stupid averages among us wouldn't have needed it. Just a few ugly outliers, that's all.)


But no matter how bad the training has been at any of my jobs, the absolute worst, hands down, was the training I had to do at Sears. How much fucking training did I need to sell fucking shoes at fucking Sears?


Here is what an average day at Sears looked like to me. I show up. I'm assigned to a section of the department to keep clean and orderly. Or I'm assigned to stock in the back for my whole shift (which, honestly, is preferable). Or, best of all, I'm there early to set up all the sales signs and can punch out when the store is opening its doors to customers. If a customer needs help, I help them. If a customer *might* need help, I ask them if they need help. And then I help them. Very briefly we had a cash register in the department which we had to learn to use, but that was there for maybe a month and I never saw it again.


So what exactly do I need training for? I've blanked most of it out, so I don't actually remember. But here's what would happen. Every month we would have a bunch of training to do. Hours of it. Which is stupid for me because I only worked weekends, so a lot of my time on the clock was spent on the shitty computer doing shitty training in their shitty training room that was actually a shitty stock room.


(Now that I think about it, it might have once been some kind of meeting room, but it was definitely a stock room by the time I got there.)


Hours and hours of pointless bullshit. Every once in a while a training program wouldn't work. I followed directions, and it didn't work. I got my supervisor to watch me as I followed directions and it still didn't work. He would then say to skip it for now, we'll have someone look at it, and we'll circle back before my last shift of the month. The last shift of the month usually came and went without anyone mentioning it to me, which reinforces my belief that it was busy work that no one, not a single solitary person in all of Sears, from the lowliest custodian to the biggest boss, gave a shit about it. I feel certain that no one even checked my quiz scores. Why would they? It was hard enough to find someone to work in shoes. Would they really risk needing to get rid of someone who actually did show up on a regular basis and sold on a reliable basis?


Well. Why would they make me do the stupid training in the first place? I can't have scored 100% on every one of them, could I have?


I'm getting mad thinking about it right now. I meant this to be a silly look-at-this-stupid-shit kind of thing, but I'm actually getting heated up right now. I'm probably going to think about this for the next hour or so while trying to get to sleep, so I'd better stop this right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment