Thursday, May 25, 2023

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #684: SPECTREMAN



 

In my ever-ongoing quest to figure out the stuff I want to keep and the stuff I'm OK with never seeing again, I found what you see above. I'm pretty sure that's my childish handwriting on there from maybe when I was six or seven? If you can't see what it says, it's SPECTREMAN.


My cousin, Erik, and I loved Spectreman when we were kids. We were crazy about it, in fact. When we weren't pretending to be detectives or soldiers or what have you, we were pretending to be Spectreman and whatever monster he was fighting.


The problem was, the show came on when we were still in school, and that was back in the day where if you missed a TV show, you just missed it forever. Unless you lucked out on a rerun somewhere along the line. And TV shows didn't usually end up on VHS at the video store back then.


Although come to think of it, I might somewhere have a Betamax tape with some Spectreman episodes on it. My stepfather, for some reason unbeknownst to the world, was big into Betamax.


Anyway, my cousin and I would have Grandma record the audio for us when we were in school so we could listen to it later and let our imaginations run wild. Because that's the best we had unless we were home sick (or home "sick") from school and could actually watch it.


Yeah, Ultraman was cool, and we liked Ultraman, too, but he wasn't fucking Spectreman.




No comments:

Post a Comment