Thursday, May 11, 2023

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #674: FREE COMIC BOOK DAY STRIKES BACK

 You're probably used to my grumbling about how Free Comic Book Day is not all it's cracked up to be, and publishers can afford it to be that way because they don't foot the bill. Retailers do. But much to my surprise, this year's FCBD actually was very good. Here are my favorites.



This was unexpectedly good. I enjoyed the Animosity short in which animals, who now have sentience and want revenge against the humans, protect a human who cared for the animals in the past. The Darkness We Brought Back looks like an interesting concept. A haunted house where the only part that's left is the front door frame. On Halloween it leads to another place, which looks pretty cool. I'll have to check out the graphic novel when it comes out. If it comes out. This one was published by Seismic with Aftershock, and Aftershock declared bankruptcy not too long ago, so that might be up in the air.



I enjoy Jeff Lemire's work, so I was surprised to see Image released a teaser for his upcoming series. It starts out pretty simple--two boys daring a third to walk barefoot through a swarm of fishflies to get snacks from a convenience store--but it looks like it's going to go off in some batshit crazy directions, which is par for the course for Lemire.



This one was probably my favorite of the bunch. A trio of stoners in the 'Seventies go on all sorts of adventures, sometimes accompanied by Fat Freddy's cat. It felt pretty retro, and there's a reason for that. Looks like these strips were originally published in the 'Seventies as part of the underground Comix movement. Very good stuff. I really enjoyed it when they infiltrated a punk show in the 'Eighties.


So there we have it. Three solidly good books from FCBD. That gives me hope for next year, considering for the last few years I was lucky to get one OK book. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment