Monday, June 28, 2021

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #378: RECYCLING IN THE OLD DAYS

 For most of my life it has been mandatory to recycle in my town. They even gave us a recycle bin and would replace them for free whenever the bin falls apart. But I was stuck on a call today at work and got bored. I looked over at my can of energy drink and saw the incentive prices for recycling in certain states. It sent me back to my childhood.


I remember my stepdad reserved a spot in the kitchen where we would put all of our recyclables. They were usually glass Coke bottles and such. When the pile got too big we would pack them all up and carry them over to the Jewel Osco. We didn't drive because it was a ten minute walk. Anyway, we'd get there, and there was a counter where you were supposed to turn these things in. It's also where you could cash a check to yourself. Yeah, yeah, shit was weird back then. Remember when you waited until late at night to make a long distance call because the rates were cheaper then?


The clerk would count everything up, and we'd walk away with a few bucks, which we needed badly because we were so poor we were on food stamps at the time. Even a single dollar made all the difference.


Sure, recycling is so much easier these days, but I kind of miss the old way of doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment