Wednesday, June 2, 2021

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #362: DRURY LANE PERKS

 I used to work at the Drury Lane Theatre in Oakbrook Terrace. I sold season tickets to theater. The job itself was not very much fun, but there were a few perks that I miss about that place. Because the rest of it was fun. Getting as many free tickets to opening night as I wanted was good. Making use of the open bar afterward was even better. Hanging out and getting drunk with the actors and directors was a lot of fun, especially for the time we had The Odd Couple. That one was a very good show.


The sales office was next to the dressing rooms, by the way. Actors are not very shy when they're back there. More often than not, they were undressing rooms.


I got to drink free Coke when I was there. I had to go for a long walk to get it--down the massive flight of stairs, through the convention room, through the dining room, into the kitchen and all the way back--but I liked it. When I needed money badly, my boss let me stay after hours to compose new lists of leads, which I greatly appreciated.


But one of the things I miss the most is when they actually held conventions in the convention room. It got annoying when I had to prove that I worked there, since there was no other way through to the sales office. I had to show up early to give security ample time to investigate. But the conventions themselves were great and full of free shit. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten ridiculously expensive cheese and salami from vendors there FOR FREE. I also got chocolate, but I don't eat that often. I just gave that away, and since it was usually expensive chocolate, recipients of this gift were usually very happy.


I miss that. I really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment