Friday, October 7, 2022

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #539: I'VE BEEN ON THE FORCE FOR 40 YEARS

 I saw a friend I haven't seen in years yesterday, and we were talking about college when it dawned on me that I'd graduated 22 years ago. It's rare when I think about my college days, but it's kind of funny feeling that revelation. I remember when I was a kid and I'd watch movies and TV shows, and characters would talk about doing something for decades. For example, there was always a grizzled cop on the edge who plays by his own rules saying things like, "I've been on the force for 40 years."


I remember thinking back then that it would be pretty cool to have done things for decades on end. Back then I was, what? Ten? Now that I'm 44 I realize that I actually have been doing things for decades. I've been writing professionally for decades. I've known friends for decades. I recently realized that I've been a college graduate for decades.


It seemed so mystical when I was a kid. Now that I'm middle-aged? Not so much. But it still feels kinda cool.


Goodnight, fuckers.

No comments:

Post a Comment