Monday, October 24, 2022

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #550: ADVENTURES IN TERRESTRIAL RADIO

 Once again I find myself driving a rental because my car got fucked up for some reason or another. This time it would have been my second totaled car in just as many years. I was not happy about that, but at least I found a way that it's not totaled.


The last time I had a rental I lucked out and it had Sirius/XM, but all other times I was stuck without so much as a CD player, leaving me to the hell of terrestrial radio. It's not so bad, I guess. Every once in a while it's good to check in with plain ol' radio. They do play songs I enjoy but don't often listen to. Plus I have a soft spot for "Carry on Wayward Son" by Kansas. Yeah, yeah, I know.


One thing I truly don't miss about terrestrial radio is how often they'll play the same song. It just depends on which station you listen to. It took only one day for me to hear the same song twice on 97.1, and that was Phil Collins. Not Genesis, mind you, but Phil Collins. I'll let you guess which song. I'm sure you know the answer.


And yes, they played "Carry on Wayward Son" twice, too.


But it's nice to see we don't just have The Drive anymore. Looks like we have another rock station in 95.5, and I got some Metallica last night, which made me happy. And you know what? It's not even one of the regular tunes you hear. It was "The Call of Ktulu," which was perfect for a fall evening. It put me in just the right mood. Metallica doesn't get enough credit for their instrumentals, which are probably my favorites of their songs.


So I guess it's not all bad. It was good to hear a few oldies. I'll be very happy when I get my car back. I still don't have Sirius/XM, but I have my CDs. Alestorm, Blue Oyster Cult, Megadeth, Korpiklaani, Ghost and a few others are in my regular rotation. It'll be nice to get back to that.



































Very well. If you guessed "In the Air Tonight," you would be right. Congratulations, I guess.



































And just because I like a song doesn't mean it's sacred to me. I also thoroughly enjoy GWAR's cover of "Carry on Wayward Son."

No comments:

Post a Comment