Monday, October 31, 2022

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #555: HALLOWEEN HUMBUG


 

*sigh* I'm a terrible horror author. Yeah, yeah, I know. But here it is. I've talked about this before, but I don't remember if I was this clear about it. So here it goes.


I don't give a flying fuck about Halloween.


It used to be my favorite holiday. I went trick or treating long after I should have stopped. Even though I still dress up for Halloween parties and work (if it's on a weekday), my heart's not really in it. I'd carve pumpkins and put up decorations, the whole nine yards. But not anymore. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually like Christmas more. It's the only holiday I care about anymore. I know it's full of shit and lies, but I like the giving gifts part. Too bad my surviving family is scattered to the winds and I'm not likely to do the Christmas stuff again.


Getting back to Halloween, I don't get excited to watch horror movies during October, either. I watched horror movies every single day of my life. I went through the entire horror sections of every local video rental store around the time I was in college. But now I just don't care. I keep thinking I should check out newer flicks, but I never do. The interest just isn't strong in me. I'm kinda interested in the new Hellraiser, but I don't know if I'll ever get around to it. I couldn't possibly care less about the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre. New Leprechaun? Not for me. And I've never cared about Michael Myers. I respect the original Halloween's place in the genre, but I thought it was a bore when I first saw it. I've only ever enjoyed two Halloween movies. Season of the Witch (of course) and Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 because it was just so bizarre and different from what I came to expect of those silly movies.


(There are only two slashers I care about anymore. Freddy, obviously, but I've made my peace with the fact that Robert Englund is never going to do another one of those. That's fine. And Chucky. Holy shit, that show is awesome. Chucky keeps getting better and crazier the older he gets.)


I still dig horror books. I doubt I'll ever stop reading those. But it might be a long time before I get into horror movies again.


So what did I do for Halloween this year? Not much. I dressed up for work as Billy Butcher from The Boys, but that's about it.


Well . . . maybe I did something else. You might recall that my usual Halloween ritual involves watching Night on Bald Mountain from Fantasia. Did you know that Bela Lugosi posed for the cartoonists for that short? Pretty interesting. Anyway, if you want to take a look, check it out here.

















































Oh yeah! I also like this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment