Wednesday, August 13, 2014

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #36: GOODBYE, WILFRED

Embedded image permalink
Me as Wilfred for Halloween two years ago.


Tonight we said goodbye to one of my favorite shows, WILFRED. For the past four years, it has been an absolute mindfuck. Did we get answers tonight? Well, kind of. It's left open to interpretation, but I think it's pretty clear what the writers intended. But that's not what I'm here to talk about tonight.


It's confession time. You see, I was kind of involved with WILFRED. I was in the test audience for the first episode. Some of you may know that I take surveys. Only two of you know that before WILFRED first aired, one of those surveys showed me the first episode and asked my opinion.


My response may surprise you. While I appreciated the dark humor, I thought they were trying too hard. I thought they were forcing things, and as a result, I voted against WILFRED being aired. Not what you expected, right? Well, against my advice, WILFRED aired, and I ignored it when it came out. However, I kept hearing good things about the show. Whenever I condemn a show at first and later hear good things about it, I always give it a second chance.


In the case of WILFRED, I'm glad I did. I rented the first season from the library and watched the whole thing in two sittings. Holy shit, was I wrong. I still feel the same way about the first episode, but after that? I was fucking hooked. I am so glad I tried this show again because it turned out to be one of my favorite TV shows of all time.


My apologies to all involved in the show, but I'm pretty sure my transgression is forgivable. After all, my response to that test show was ignored anyway, so . . .


If you haven't watched WILFRED, I highly recommend it. As I understand, it's based on an Australian show, but I haven't seen that one. I'm going to have to hunt it down and see what it's like. But for the American version, be sure to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment